Pixel Perfect - Photoshop Masks - Lesson 1 by @kookyan
Welcome, Fellow Artists...!
Hello boys and girls welcome to pixel!!!!
This time I'm @kookyan, invading a Pixel post to give them a little tutorial, how to use some tools in photoshop, to facilitate a bit the illustration process.
This tutorial was made with Photoshop CC2019 but these options exist in all versions.
Mask is an option that is used to block a space in a layer or in a group, and that in the colors or options that we use in the group.
This way we can do the coloring without wasting time erasing the excesses of color.
To place a mask in a group or in a layer, we select with the loop tool the zone where we are going to work, or using the magic wand.
Then we use the symbol that appears in the image, selecting the layer where we are going to apply it.
A crop mask is a set of layers to which a mask is applied. The bottom layer, or base layer, defines the visible boundaries of the entire group.
To create one of these masks you just have to select the layer or the group you want to place the mask on, right click on it or open the layer options panel.
and select clipping masks.
After that you can make the effect of lights or color change that you need for that specific section.
With this technique we can modify the color of a specific zone without the need to paint on the layer itself.
Sometimes to be able to make better effects of change of color also we will need the style of layer, but it is something that we will learn later in this post.
To use it you only have to select it in the area where the can of paint is, using Right Click.
This tool is to add a touch of shade to the hair.
with a brush, we will use our colors, to add illumination and texture to the layer.
Lighten or modify the colors according to the option you choose.
There are many variants that you must use following the steps of the color theory or with simple "trial and error".
Layer Style, Multiply
This coat style mixed with tile or light purple tones, are mostly used to make the coats.
Without the "Multiply" style you would only see a flat color like this.
And then putting on the layer style and lowering the opacity a little bit.
The tone is distinguished and fused with the colors of the layers of the group.
With a soft brush, we will erase the areas where we want to observe the lights.
We will repeat the step of the layer multiply, but with a reddish tone to highlight some areas.
Finally to add illumination we will superimpose a light blue layer.
- Create a piece of art using Photoshop or a similar program that has layers and masks.
- Take screenshots of the process.
- Create a post that shows your creative process and your final artwork.
- Use the #pixelperfect and #pixel tags with your post.
- Turn in your post in the homework channel in the Pixel Perfect Discord Server.
Ready!! this was all our little Tips to improve our performance in Photoshop!
I hope you like it and see you again!
Pixel Perfect Lessons
Participate in the Official Pixel Perfect Lessons to achieve rewards. These lessons can be completed multiple times so that you can show your progression and earn more rewards for your hard work.
After completing the Official Pixel Perfect Lesson, place your lesson in the Submit Homework channel in the Official Pixel Perfect Discord.
The lesson will be "graded" by the teachers and a reward for the lesson will be established and set out.
After reviewing your homework lesson, the team will determine the reward based on the following criteria:
- Effort. If we can tell that you went out and created new content for the lesson, instead of recycling old material, you will earn more. The point is to actually use what you learn in the lesson to try and become better.
- Overall understanding and application of the lesson elements.
- Structure of lesson post and design.
Rewards will be as follows:
- 5 Pixel for an average post that meets the minimum requirements.
- 10 Pixel for a good post that shows some good elements to it, with good structure and photography or art.
- 15 Pixel reward is reserved to the exceptional posts that we feel the authors have gone above and beyond and truly taken the time take what they have learned and apply it and share it with the Whaleshares platform.
One thing to remember is that you can always complete the lessons multiple times to earn more rewards and improve your skills.
What is Pixel Perfect?
If you are just now hearing about the Pixel Perfect project and are unsure of what it is, I would suggest heading over to Introducing Pixel Perfect! for more detailed information.
Pixel Perfect is an educational system for the creative community that rewards you for your participation in the lessons. You will be rewarded based on the effort that you put into your "homework" and learn new techniques that will help you on and off of the Whaleshares platform.
Be sure to join the Pixel Perfect Discord to become part of our community so that you can turn in your assignments and stay up to date with all of the latest Pixel Perfect news. Join the Pixel Perfect Discord Server.